So it was finally time to get Samba running on my home system.

The plan was to just copy over all the entire installation from backups and just run it. But, of course, things never go to plan.

First up, this is an x64 installation and of course the ppc binaries won't run. No problems thought I. I'll just apt-get install samba and all will be well.

No joy. The supported installation of samba in the latest version of debian is actually older than the version I was running on my old machine.

Ok, so we're building from source again.

Build, build, run.

Nope. I could variously get my desktop joined to the domain, then the NAS. When I finally got them both joined, I ran into the dreaded NTSTATUSNOLOGONSERVERS problem. Again.

So, thought I. Lets just create a fresh domain. This was actually the best solution. My only worry was losing access to data on the NAS due to permissions problems. Handily, the latest firmware upgrade to the Infrant NAS can give you (via an add-on) root shell access to the NAS, so I figured I could fix it up later.

I then brought up a fresh domain, joined all the machines and all was well. Pretty easy really. I fixed up all the permissions problems on the NAS by just ssh'ing in and running chown -R steve.“domain users” share/* on all the shares in /c. The only minor other thing I had to do on the NAS was move my home domain share from /c/home/OLD_DOMAIN/steve to /c/home/NEW_DOMAIN/steve and then chown -R steve.nogroup /c/home/NEW_DOMAIN/steve.

And then all was well in Casa Del Lacey…