The way that “official” signs are worded, especially at airports, has always bugged me. Take this one from the gate at San Jose airport for example:
- All checked and carry-on bags are subject to search. - Ok, sounds good.
- All passengers are warned to control their carry-on baggage etc… - Errr, first up, am I being asked to do something, or am I being told that all passengers have been warned about something. And why “warned”.
- All passengers are advised not to accept items from unknown persons. - Are they? Cool! Oh, were you asking me to do something?
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but why not:
- All your checked and carry-on bags are subject to search.
- Please keep an eye on all your carry-on baggage etc…
- Please don't accept items from unknown persons.
Seems better to me.